Relative Clauses - Grammar

Celia Carrera Olivares

GRAMMAR: RELATIVE CLAUSES




First of all, we need to distinguish between defining and non-defining relative clauses:

Defining relative clauses

• A defining relative clause is a clause which gives essential information about somebody or something. They are introduced by who, which, whose, whom, and what

1 In defining relative clauses, we can use that instead of who/ which
She’s the woman who / that lives next door.
 That’s the book which / that won a prize.

2 Use whose to mean ‘of who’ or ‘of which’.
That’s my neighbour whose dog never stops barking

3 When who or which are the object of the verb in the relative clause, you can leave them out.
James is the man (who) I met at the party.
That’s the shop (which) I told you about.

4 After a preposition, use whom for a person and which for a thing. In informal English, it is more common to leave out the relative pronoun and put the preposition after the verb.
  •          Formal English: My sister’s the only person to whom I can talk. That’s the drawer in which I keep my keys.
  •          Informal English: My sister’s the only person (who) I can talk to.

5 Use what as a relative pronoun to mean ‘the thing’ or ‘things which’
She told me what she had seen.
What I like best about London is the parks

Non-defining relative clauses

A non-defining relative clause gives extra, non-essential information about a person or thing. This clause is separated by commas, or between a comma and a full stop.

In these clauses, unlike defining relative clauses, we cannot use that instead of who or which.
My aunt, who doesn’t like cats, was given a kitten for Christmas.
The palace, which was built in the 12th century, is visited by thousands of tourists.

Which can also be used to refer to the whole of the preceding clause.
 Adriana hasn’t come to class for two weeks, which is a bit worrying.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Oxenden, Clive, and Christina Latham-Koenig. “Chapter 7.” New ENGLISH FILE Upper-Intermediate Student’s Book. N.p., 1997. 100–114. Print.


Gap-fill exercise

Fill in all the gaps, then press "Check" to check your answers. Use the "Hint" button to get a free letter if an answer is giving you trouble. You can also click on the "[?]" button to get a clue. Note that you will lose points if you ask for hints or clues!
1. His girlfriend, is very intelligent, is an architect.
2. The car crashed into mine was a Mini.
3. Our computer, we bought two months ago, keeps on crashing.
4. The employee to I spoke gave me some incorrect information.
5. She told her boss she'd overslept, was absolutely true.
6. She is the woman daughter works with me.
7. The mountain we climbed yesterday was the highest mountain in Britain!
8. Julie looked after the injured bird she found in the garden.
9. The camera Greg bought yesterday doesn’t work.
10. That’s the shop I bought my wedding ring.
Exercises links

➣ Mixed-up sentence exercises

http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62363/RZPJSBPS.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62362/EZMGDSMR.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62361/NFDBUZLL.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62360/LPVTEXSM.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62359/JEBOOBYH.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62358/SDDAHZHV.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62357/DGWXLZXH.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62356/UJFNDSQC.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/62355/ZVNAKBEL.php
http://uk2.hotpotatoes.net/ex/61858/KJBQUYKC.php